Attorney Richard Low
Richard Low, managing shareholder of Herr & Low, P.C. and now counsel to May Herr & Grosh LLP is pleased to continue his practice with the firm.
Mr. Low brings to the new firm 40 years of experience in personal injury litigation, initially for the insurance defense industry and for injured people seeking fair compensation since 1983. This long experience brings with it insight into the approach taken by the insurance industry, knowledge of the adjusters who handle the claims and years of aggressive negotiation practice.
Mr. Low has been mediating cases since 1996, working with parties to disputes to find a resolution without court involvement. With well over a hundred resolved disputes, this practice provides further insight into the handling of claims and a unique perspective on settlement. He has tried cases in both the Federal and State trial courts and argued before the Superior and Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals in the Federal system.
Richard Low graduated cum laude from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1980, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif (an honorary society) and the Law Review. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Association, the Lancaster Bar Association, and the Pennsylvania Association for Justice. He is a member of the Litigation section of the ABA, the litigation and auto law sections of the PBA, a former delegate to the Pennsylvania Bar Association House of Delegates, and is a member and past chair of the Lancaster Bar Association Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution. He has taught at Penn State University as an adjunct professor in their paralegal program, teaching civil procedure, and has authored articles for the Pennsylvania Law Weekly and taught seminars for other lawyers on issues of automobile law and mediation. He is admitted to practice before all courts of Pennsylvania, the Federal District Courts for the Western and Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury Litigation, Plaintiff
- General Civil lit. (Business Disputes, Insurance Coverage, Contract Dispute)
- Mediation of Litigated Cases; Mediation of Contract Disputes
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1984
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1992
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2011
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. cum laude – 1980
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Law Review: University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- B.A. – 1971
- Major: Economics
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Sustaining Member, 1983 – Present
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member, House of Delegates, 2000 – 2014
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member, Litigation Section, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Lancaster Bar Association, Founding Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Committee
- Lancaster Bar Association, Chair, ADR Committee, 2001 – 2007
- Lancaster Bar Association, Member, Judiciary Committee, 2004 – 2005
- Lancaster Bar Association, Member, Awards Committee, 2001 – Present
- Lancaster Bar Association, President, 2008
- Lancaster Bar Association Foundation, Chair of the Board, Board of Directors, 2002 – 2008
- Lancaster Bar Association Foundation, President, 2005 – 2006
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Auto Law Section, Member